Re: [orca-list] Orca is silent after updating Gnome-Speech

I haven't tried in a while, but the "/usr/bin/aoss" trick should work. There might be a 'sticky' Bonobo thing hanging around that remembered the old GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Espeak.server file. Try logging out, running 'bonobo-slay', and then logging back in."

Exactly! Restarting the system solved this; perhaps relogging to Gnome
would have done it. But who thinks of this, when you a bit nervous about
resetting the whole speech output.

Heh - yeah.  Living on the edge can be nerve wracking.

"BTW, I've heard that pulseaudio support is helping address the notion of device contention. As a result of this, you might not run into gnome-speech device contention issues when you're using a system that is using pulseaudio.

Which system? I've heard of some instabilities of PulseAudio.

I've used it on Solaris and I believe Mike has used it on Hardy. Note that this isn't meant to be a promotion of PulseAudio (I don't know all the details about it), but it does seem to help with device contention problems.

Will