Re: [orca-list] keys in conflict with XUL application keys

Milan Zamazal wrote:

OTOH, when Orca controls the caret application arrow keys don't work.
> [...]
only in input fields.  But if a key binding is bound to another UI
element (such as a button)

Ah, gotcha. I was under the impression that the alphanumeric keys would not be bound to UI elements without being combined with some other modifier. For instance, I assumed the possibility of Alt+B or Control+B but not just B (or for that matter Shift+B). Although I guess Thunderbird does stuff like that -- and each time I accidentally do something to trigger it, I find it disturbing/bad design. ;-) But that's not the point I suppose. Now I get what you're saying. Thanks!

Which brings me to:

So I'd suggest to disable structural navigation and Orca caret handling
in XUL applications by default.

I'm not so sure I like this idea. As it stands right now, the user is in control of these settings: They're on by default, they can be toggled by the user, they can be set by the user via the Orca Preferences for Minefield/Firefox (Control+Orca+Space). Regardless, when a user presses Orca+Z or Orca+F12, they expect to toggle the setting to the opposite of what they chose. If we go in and toggle things on their behalf without telling them, and then they toggle a setting, they will find that they're putting things back to what they expected them to be in the first place. That might be confusing: "I thought Orca WAS controlling the caret. Did I accidentally change a setting? No...." I would not be surprised at that point to see a bug in bugzilla along the lines of "Orca randomly toggles structural navigation and caret handling." (No, it's not actually random, but it certain might seem so. Non-visually, it is far less obvious that you're viewing a XUL app rather than a traditional web page). I suppose we could tell them when we're switching things on their behalf, but that's quite a bit of "chatter", plus what if the user doesn't want them switched? I'm not sure it's safe to assume that they do.

Personally I think the best user experience is to keep the users in charge of their settings rather than switching them on their behalf. But I will let other users, our UI lead (Mike Pedersen), and our project lead (Will Walker) chime in on this one.

allow switching the structural navigation and caret handling modes not
only globally, but also for a particular window or so?  What do you
think?

I think this would (could) be part of the per-URL script implementation. There could be per-URL preferences. I'm not sure about per-window-within-a-URL

Thanks for the explanation and your thoughts. Let's see what others have to say and go from there.

Take care.
Joanie