Re: [orca-list] systemrequirements for orca?

Hello,
On Mo, Nov 19, 2007 at 11:03:17 +0100, Hermann wrote:
Hi,
I found that the behavior of Orca under Ubuntu seems sometimes
unpredictable:

Sometimes?
Let's compare orca to other screenreaders!
(not jaws).
Perhaps nvda??

Actually I use Gutsy on a 2,6 Ghz laptop with 512 MB RAM and about 900
MB swap, and I face no real sluggisness. Some processes start a bit
slower, but nothing worth to worry about.

I don't think so. Sure it works you can get many feedback from the
supported apps but serious (fast) work is not posible "in my opionion".

In last spring I used Feisty on my desktop 1 Ghz 256 MB RAM (shared) and
2 GB of swap. The performance was a true catastrophy. Everything was
sluggish and the swap got filled up to nearly 1 GB.
Since people who use a similar machine as my desktop, have reported no
major problems and people who use a much better machine than my laptop
complain sluggisness, I don't know what's going on with Orca and
Ubuntu/DEbian.
In an Ubuntu forum I read about problems with NVIDIA graphic cards, and
maybe there are issues with other hardware components.

Luke wrote that gnome is only slow if you start orca so it must be a
problem with the accessibility stuff not of the graphic card.
Perhaps one of the main developers can tell us
something about these problems?
Regards
Halim

Hermann