Re: [orca-list] SD crash: Cannot get rid of notifier

May be I wasn't very descript about that (may be it was that I have it
all set up now and slightly forgot what was involved). So for more
description.

On my system acpid holds its configuration files in /etc/acpi. If you
want to make all events go to a script which will handle what event
should occur, you would put the following in the file /etc/acpi/default
event=.*
action=/etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh %e

That is how the slackware defaults are set
(where /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh is that script I previously sent, and
the event strings are passed to acpi_handler.sh as arguments ($1, $2,
etc)). You can alternatively define specific events/actions in acpid
conffiguration files (I don't know if you can put more than one pair in
a configuration file or not, but acpid on slackware allows you to have
different files in /etc/acpi/events/ which define different actions).

For example you may be interested in my file /etc/acpi/events/battery
which contains the following:
event=battery.*
action=/etc/acpi/actions/battery.sh %e

Where /etc/acpi/actions/battery.sh is what is fired when a battery event
occurs (see attachment for contents of that script).

Also to make acpid work properly, you must ensure you have the
appropriate modules loaded, eg. button for the power button to fire
acpid events.

All this I have described is how my Slackware system works with acpid,
you may find things vary slightly on other distros. Even so I hope this
has given you an overview of the workings of acpid and how it can be
used.

From
Michael Whapples