Re: [orca-list] SD crash: Cannot get rid of notifier

Hello,
I have a few comments regarding this which may help. I will answer
amongst your text.
On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:54 +0100, Hermann wrote:
Hi,
that SD crash problem is going to become a never ending story:
I thought with:
update-rc.d -f notification-daemon remove
I would be able to stop that program.
However it's not been started by links in the rc.d directories.
It seems that it gets started by a proces from within the GUI of Ubuntu.
Is it in the list of applications in the gnome session start up list (in
"system menu", "Preferences menu", under item "session" on the tab for
start up).
Furthermore I suspect that I need that notifier, because it tells me
about the battery status, which is essential for my notebook.
You probably don't need to use notification daemon as acpid can do
monitoring of acpi events and take actions. If your laptop uses APM,
then I think there is apmd which is the apm version. You could set acpid
to do anything on low battery status, play a sound, open a window, what
ever you want so long as it could be done/launched from a bash shell.
So what to do? That stuff becomes boaring.
See if you can stop it as I suggested. If that really proves difficult,
is there any way you could modify what notification daemon does? This
might be either stopping updatedb being run, or
exclude /var/speech-dispatcher from updatedb (or stop it removing it in
any other way, I am not sure why it should remove all this).
Hermann