[orca-list] too much speech or not enough

Is there a way of getting the speech level right for system updates or
maybe even upgrades of Ubuntu?
I ask as I either get too much from the Gnome terminal when using Apt
in Gutsy or not enough when using the update manager from the system
menu.
I still haven't managed to get speech dispatcher to work as Orca keeps
giving me strange messages and the impression I am getting is that is
not starting properly when it downloads the package and extracts the
files and I think I keep getting a Beta version as some of the files
keep saying something about beta with a version number including the
tilde sign which I am not sure if this is the correct version I should
be getting.
I am still using the default version of Orca in Gutsy as I haven't
quite got my head around building a more up to date version as looking
at the documentation I get the empression I still need to use
Subversion even if I were to download a more up to date version as a
.tgz file.