Re: Orca Laptop keybindings.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:18:59PM EST, Willem van der Walt wrote:
Hi,
After a dist-upgrade on debian, I got Orca-setup run for the first time
in my life.
I was pleased to be able to select the speech-dispatcher driver through
gnome-speech as that is what i am using with speakup anyway.

Is that a custom compiled gnome-speech, or is that available in Debian?
I really should check my sid chroot but couldn't be bothered right now.
:)

My first impression of Orca is that it will be relatively easy to use once
it is complete.

Given that there is enough user customization in terms of
verbocity/keybindings available, yes I certainly agree.

I had to search quite a bit for the Orca keys.
May be there is a short list of keys which I did not find.  I had speakup
running when Orca was running and it seems as if they co-exist well
together.

I remember finding that if you echoed the right number to a particular
file in /proc/speakup, you could get it to shut up for that console.
This would actually be easy to implement for X setups with GDM/GNOME
etc. You have just given me an idea.

I am not sure if I am wrong there as I seem to not quite get the response
from keys like the plus key for reading more than one line.

I haven't tried this much myself, but I did find few quirks with the key
setup when I was having a play. That is for another email however.

Should I disable speakup before going into X?

You can kill speakup while in the X terminal by pressing Print Screen.
If in GNOME, a screenshot dialog will shortly pop up. I suggest killing
speakup once you have orca running, so you hear when the dialog pops up,
just close it and go on your way with orca.

How well is web browsing suppose to work using fire fox deer park and Orca?

Never heard of deer park, but I don't think firefox support is still
that great, and I think that has more to do with firefox than orca, but
Willie can probably correct me on that if I am wrong.

I tried the other day to get the latest fire fox but at the time there was
a problem and the thing did not compile.
The one I have running seem to some times read the links but seldom the
page content.

You need to turn on carrot browsing mode with the F7 key. Note that you
will be asked a question about whether you really want to turn it on,
which as far as I have found, cannot be read with Orca. Select yes and
then use the arrow keys to get around.

Which key is the "shut up" key?

Any key should stop Orca from speaking, but control works, just like all
other screen readers. :)
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE