Re: Orca Laptop keybindings.

Wow! Lots of comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to write these up.

After a dist-upgrade on debian, I got Orca-setup run for the first time in my life.

Yeah!

I was pleased to be able to select the speech-dispatcher driver through gnome-speech as that is what i am using with speakup anyway.

Many thanks to the folks at Brailcom for providing the gnome-speech driver for speech-dispatcher. I was able to incorporate this into the gnome-speech codebase, but only after the GNOME 2.14 cutoff.

My first impression of Orca is that it will be relatively easy to use once it is complete.
I had to search quite a bit for the Orca keys.
May be there is a short list of keys which I did not find.

The design philosophy behind Orca is that it should follow "normal" keyboard focus and you should use the keyboard navigation techniques built into the core desktop platform to interact with your applications. Escaping to "flat review mode" and using Orca-specific keys is viewed as a fallback mechanism.

As Orca is still early under development, our end-user documentation for Orca is currently lacking. I apologize for the lack of keybinding information. The main escape mechanisms for Orca live on the keypad, and the current design is described here:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/orca/docs/doc-set/ orca.html#GESTURES

It's not all implemented at this point, though. But, Orca's learn mode (press Insert+F1 to enter it and Escape to exit it) will allow you press various keys to see what has been incorporated. When you enter learn mode, Orca will speak and braille would would have happened and will prevent the keystrokes and braille input gestures from being sent on to an application.

I had speakup running when Orca was running and it seems as if they co-exist well together.

Yeah! We realize that Orca doesn't own the machine and that people often want to move to a virtual console and use their AT's there. As such, our hope with Orca is to try to cooperate well with, and perhaps even use existing assistive technologies.

I am not sure if I am wrong there as I seem to not quite get the response from keys like the plus key for reading more than one line.

Right now, this only works for large multiline text areas rather than providing a review of the entire window.

Should I disable speakup before going into X?

If Speakup and Orca co-exist well, then I'm not sure if it's necessary?

How well is web browsing suppose to work using fire fox deer park and Orca?

Firefox browsing is under development. Right now, I'd call it "very clunky and not fully usable" with the latest community build of Firefox. We're going to continue to shoot for making Firefox as good as it can be for Firefox 2, while also collaborating with IBM to provide a much better experience for Firefox 3.

Which key is the "shut up" key?

Any key at the moment tells Orca to shut up. :-) I've noticed a lot of people gravitate to the left control key, but any key should do at the current time. We may narrow this as we work on more intelligent key and word echo techniques.

Thanks again!

Will