Re: Understanding IPv6-PD over PPPoE

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 09:44:20AM +0200, Beniamino Galvani wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 09:28:16PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 01:36:23PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Marc Haber <mh+networkmanager-list zugschlus de> writes:
Unfortunately, it is pretty hard in Germany to get a dedicated VDSL
modem so that you can do the PPPoE yourself, so I can't comment about
the exchanges that go on on the wire.

You can't use any VDSL modem, or bridge the one you have?

Modern Fritzboxes cannot be bridged any more, at least the ones that
also do SIP, since one would lose the phone features of the box.

One possibility is to use a separate router (or Linux machine)
connected to the LAN port of the modem and use PPPoE pass-through, if
the Fritzbox supports it and the ISP allows multiple PPPoE sessions.

I know. It doesn't (any more). They don't (any more).

In Germany, those features died with the rollout of
Fiber-to-the-Curb-Vectoring-VDSL and the migration of the backhaul from
ATM to Ethernet.

Greetings
Marc, who would REALLY like to be able to investigate the network-side
protocols of the CPE a bit more in depth, but without a budget to do so.