Re: How to tell NM to ignore some interfaces

Ops, forgot to attach the file :/

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:06 AM Jetchko Jekov <jetchko jekov gmail com> wrote:
OK, I checked  /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/85-nm-unmanaged.rules.
I extended it for my purposes (why there aren't rules by default for libvirt and docker bridges btw?)
I am including updated rules file.
With all this in place. (NM config file is still the same)

$ udevadm test /sys/class/net/tap0
[ -- cut -- ]
ACTION="">
DEVPATH=/devices/virtual/net/tap0
ID_MM_CANDIDATE=1
ID_NET_DRIVER=tun
ID_NET_LINK_FILE=/usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link
IFINDEX=6
INTERFACE=tap0
NM_UNMANAGED=1
SUBSYSTEM=net
SYSTEMD_ALIAS=/sys/subsystem/net/devices/tap0
TAGS=:systemd:
USEC_INITIALIZED=184623250

I see NM_UNMANAGED=1 is there. Still, when I open my vpn connection NM is running dhclient on it.
Whats more interesting is that it first kills my dhclient which is run from openvpn's up script..
Whats even more interesting is that this tap0 interface ends up with 2 IPs obtained via dhcp ....

Jeka

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 13:30 +0000, Jetchko Jekov wrote:
> Hi,
> Here it is.

NM will always detect all kernel interfaces and expose them through its
APIs, but it will *not* necessarily actively manage them.  That is what
an "unmanaged" device means.  But NM will still reflect the state of
that device through its D-Bus API.s

In your case, it appears that NM is touching the interface in a few
cases, first for IPv6LL and second for the arping.  NM probably
shouldn't be doing these things.

Anyway, there are two mechanisms for marking devices as "unmanaged"
with NM 1.0.x and later:

1) NetworkManager.conf with unmanaged-devices; it appears that you have
configured this correctly so far, but Thomas would know more.

2) udev rules; all virtual-type interfaces should already be marked
'unmanaged' by udev rules shipped with NetworkManager in
 /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/85-nm-unmanaged.rules.  You can add additional
rules by copying that file to /etc/udev/rules.d and modifying it for
your own purposes.

Dan