Re: Sierra Wireless MC8355 - Gobi 3000 with AT&T

Aleksander Morgado <aleksander lanedo com> writes:
On 03/10/13 10:15, Bjørn Mork wrote:
Could very well be that they forbid using that APN with a Sierra
Wireless IMEI.

Really? Why would they do that?

To force the APN to be used exclusively with handsets, because the
provided services aren't suitable/scalable for high speed PC modems.

This is just a wild and unfounded speculation from my side.  I have no
idea what AT&T does.  But I read from the APN docs that they would
prefer other APNs for straight Internet access.

From what I have gathered, mobile operator IP networks are typically a
mess of firewalled services and weird accounting solutions, making it
really inconvenient to provide both high speed Internet access and
semi-private WAP gateway access using the same APN.  But I don't know if
this is true for all operators, and I don't know anything in particular
about AT&T.

Bjørn