Re: SMS sending error with Telit module

On 10/04/2013 17:28, Dan Williams wrote:
In the case where the module has multiple AT-capable ports, any of them
are available for PPP unless ModemManager is told otherwise.  Typically
MM does this either by asking the modem which ports it supports PPP on
(through proprietary AT commands), or by udev rules to "tag" the
specific USB interfaces as capable of PPP or not when we can't figure
this out automatically.

Otherwise, if you determine that USB2 is the only one that reliably
supports the PPP connection, then we'll need to investigate whether this
is the same for all other devices with that vendor and product ID, or
whether there's an AT command we can run to ask the modem about this, or
whether we just need to tag the ports and hope for the best.

Also, can you grab 'lsusb -v -d <vid:pid>' output for your module?
Often the PPP-capable ports are the ones with an Interrupt endpoint,
while AT ports that don't support PPP do not have the interrupt
endpoint, only bulk in/bulk out ones.

Dan

Following is the output of lsusb, together with the list of detected serial ports. It seems that module port order remains the same every connection: first is modem port, second is diagnostic port, third is auxiliary port (as I found in this document: http://www.telit.com/files/en/products/evk_drivers/Telit_UC_CC_DE_USB_Driver_for_Linux_U0_00_04_r3.pdf). In my case assigned ports are always USB2, 3 and 4, so the problem is probably that MM chooses the wrong port for PPP.

Two questions:
How can I tell MM to use a particular USB port for PPP?
I need to send SMS while data connection is active. Do I have to manually select an USB port also for this task (maybe auxiliary port)? (and if yes, how I can do?)

Thank you very much

"lsusb -v -d" output:
Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1bc7:1003
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1bc7
  idProduct          0x1003
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 4
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           85
    bNumInterfaces          3
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              3
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval             128
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              3
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        2
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              3
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0

Serial port list (by-id):
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 apr 10 16:31 usb-FTDI_FT232X_USB_UART_DAWEJ78H-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 apr 9 17:21 usb-FTDI_FT232X_USB_UART_DAWELHRS-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 apr 11 09:31 usb-Telit_Wireless_Solutions_Telit_HSDPA_Wireless_Modem_000000000002-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 apr 11 09:31 usb-Telit_Wireless_Solutions_Telit_HSDPA_Wireless_Modem_000000000002-if01-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB3 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 apr 11 09:31 usb-Telit_Wireless_Solutions_Telit_HSDPA_Wireless_Modem_000000000002-if02-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB4