Re: SMS sending error with Telit module

On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 10:39 +0200, Enrico Murador - Research &
Development - CET wrote:
I'm trying the packages I updated friday from PPA, but now I'm facing
another problem: after I start the gsm data connection, most of the time
connection drops automatically... sometimes immediately after
connection, sometimes after some seconds (and in the meantime, I see the
modem status icon on top right of the screen in "searching" state).
After the connection drops, the modem seems to become "unreachable" from
the manager. I can get it working by disconnect and reconnect the
module's USB cable, without powering it off.

Side effect: one time, after some retries, I was able to completely
"lock" the applet with both LAN and mobile connections disabled, and
clicking on the connection names didn't make any effect, apart from this
message repeatedly popping up: "(4) Did not receive a reply. Possible
causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message
bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.".

Attached is the log of a failed attempt, where connection drops (line
755) some seconds after going up, and subsequent (failed?) attempts to
check module's state.
Is there a way to show in log also the cause of the disconnection?

If NetworkManager is being used here, what does the PPP exchange look
like?  Does ppp0 get an IP address from pppd before the disconnection,
or does the PPP negotiation just fail?  You'll see that wherever syslog
gets dumped to, sometimes /var/log/messages,
sometimes /var/log/daemon.log, etc.  Clearly the modem isn't completely
wedged because the QCDM port still works.  But getting the pppd output
might help diagnose.

Some theories are:

1) double-check the APN

2) perhaps PPP fails for some reason, but when pppd quits on the local
machine the module doesn't actually leave data mode; we don't have
multiple AT ports so there's no way to force the device to leave data
mode with AT+CGACT.  The device might require other mechanisms like
serial HUP or dropping DTR or +++.