Re: NM before login?

Dan Williams wrote:

>> > This is provided by the nm-system-settings service.  You'll want to
grab
>> > the NM from F-10 updates-testing:
>> >
>> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-3686
>> >
>> > and after a reboot, you should be able to use the connection editor to
>> > mark your wifi connections as "Available to all users", which means
they
>> > will be available before login.
>>
>> Thanks very much, I'll try that.
>>
>> Though I am reasonably sure -
>> having followed your suggestion to use nm-tools -
>> that the occasional problem with my Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
>> is something to do with the orinoco_cs driver rather than NM.

> You might get better luck by using the 'hostap' driver for your card,
> most of the orinoco cards can be driven by hostap too.

Well, WiFi is working sufficiently well at the moment
that I don't like to disturb it.
I did try hostap in the distant past,
but didn't find it as good as orinoco_cs with my cards.

> However, I've used an airport card (which is essentially orinoco) pretty
> successfully with recent NM versions.  What sort of issues are you
> having with it, and what kernel version are you running?

I'm running Fedora-10 with KDE, and always keep it up to date;
at present my kernel is 2.6.27.21-170.2.56 .

The only issue is that about 1 time in 5
WiFi does not come up when I re-boot.
I haven't found anything that works then
except re-booting again.
When I do that WiFi almost always works -
perhaps 9 times out of 10.

I find that when I suspend to RAM with WiFi working
it is nearly always still working when the machine awakes.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net