Re: NM before login?

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 20:31 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 11:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> Is there a way of establishing (and keeping)
> >> a WiFi connection with NetworkManager
> >> before logging in?
> >> I've read postings saying it is possible,
> >> and others saying it is not.
> >>
> >> If it is possible,
> >> what are the steps one must take to implement this?
> >> (I'm running Fedora-10 with KDE.)
> >
> > This is provided by the nm-system-settings service.  You'll want to grab
> > the NM from F-10 updates-testing:
> >
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-3686
> >
> > and after a reboot, you should be able to use the connection editor to
> > mark your wifi connections as "Available to all users", which means they
> > will be available before login.
>
> Thanks very much, I'll try that.
>
> Though I am reasonably sure -
> having followed your suggestion to use nm-tools -
> that the occasional problem with my Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
> is something to do with the orinoco_cs driver rather than NM.
> Still, it will help to find as soon as possible
> whether or not a WiFi connection is going to be set up.

You might get better luck by using the 'hostap' driver for your card,
most of the orinoco cards can be driven by hostap too.

However, I've used an airport card (which is essentially orinoco) pretty
successfully with recent NM versions.  What sort of issues are you
having with it, and what kernel version are you running?