Re: NM before login?

Dan Williams wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 11:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Is there a way of establishing (and keeping)
>> a WiFi connection with NetworkManager
>> before logging in?
>> I've read postings saying it is possible,
>> and others saying it is not.
>>
>> If it is possible,
>> what are the steps one must take to implement this?
>> (I'm running Fedora-10 with KDE.)
>
> This is provided by the nm-system-settings service.  You'll want to grab
> the NM from F-10 updates-testing:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-3686
>
> and after a reboot, you should be able to use the connection editor to
> mark your wifi connections as "Available to all users", which means they
> will be available before login.

Thanks very much, I'll try that.

Though I am reasonably sure -
having followed your suggestion to use nm-tools -
that the occasional problem with my Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
is something to do with the orinoco_cs driver rather than NM.
Still, it will help to find as soon as possible
whether or not a WiFi connection is going to be set up.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net