Re: NetworkManager and domain names

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 13:42 +0000, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 13:34 +0000, Rick Jones wrote:
>
> > OK, thanks. I just wondered, as I've never perceived a need for a FQDN when
> > using a mobile link. I don't use Evolution.
>
> Evolution works just fine, the problem is with only posts to newsgroups
> that needs a FQDN.
>
> > I do find an irritating problem with 3 in that sometimes it fails to
> > provide DNS addresses, and I have to disconnect and re-connect to pick them
> > up. I'm pretty sure it's not a NM issue, just something glitchy with their
> > connections or maybe the sh*t ZTE modem. :(. Seems to be worse with low
> > signal strength, so maybe the link just loses the info. and never re-tries.
> >
> > Do you ever get that?
>
> Yes, loads. Rather than disconnecting, I plonk the correct DNS addresses
> into /etc/resolv.conf whenever that happens. Usually I get the 10.x.x.x
> ones or even more curiouser, the 4.3.2.1 ones. Any ideas why? It's
> weird!

Any of those addresses are fake ones from either pppd or the modem
because of some internal error or miscommunication.  I don't think
anybody has figured out yet why.  In any case, NM 0.7.2 and recent NM
0.8 snapshots should detect those address and substitute known-good
servers for them (4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2).  Not optimal, but at least you
can get online.

I see this occasionally with T-Mobile US and my Huawei stick, but I've
never seen it with Option devices for example.