Re: NetworkManager and domain names

--On Friday, December 04, 2009 16:34:48 -0800 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 18:40 +0000, Alex Buell wrote:
I use NetworkManager with three's mobile broadband. I have just found
out that it is not able to obtain a domain name with dhcpcd. Any ideas
how I can force NetworkManager into getting a domain name from three's
DHCP servers? Thanks for any advice given!

I'm curious as to what domain name you'd expect to see, snd what it would do for you?

Rick

Remember that cellular mobile broadband doesn't actually use DHCP at
all; the DHCP or PPP session is between you and the 3G device itself.
What happens over the air is not DHCP, but a GPRS PDP context setup
between the 3G device and the network that does not include the domain
name.  You *may* be able to obtain a domain name through reverse-DNS,
which NM may already be doing if you haven't set a persistent machine
hostname through /etc/hostname or wherever.