Re: NetworkManager and domain names

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 18:40 +0000, Alex Buell wrote:
> I use NetworkManager with three's mobile broadband. I have just found
> out that it is not able to obtain a domain name with dhcpcd. Any ideas
> how I can force NetworkManager into getting a domain name from three's
> DHCP servers? Thanks for any advice given!

Remember that cellular mobile broadband doesn't actually use DHCP at
all; the DHCP or PPP session is between you and the 3G device itself.
What happens over the air is not DHCP, but a GPRS PDP context setup
between the 3G device and the network that does not include the domain
name.  You *may* be able to obtain a domain name through reverse-DNS,
which NM may already be doing if you haven't set a persistent machine
hostname through /etc/hostname or wherever.