Re: NetworkManager and domain names

--On Saturday, December 05, 2009 12:51:27 +0000 Alex Buell <alex buell munted org uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 18:40 +0000, Alex Buell wrote:
>> I use NetworkManager with three's mobile broadband. I have just found
>> out that it is not able to obtain a domain name with dhcpcd. Any ideas
>> how I can force NetworkManager into getting a domain name from three's
>> DHCP servers? Thanks for any advice given!

I'm curious as to what domain name you'd expect to see, snd what it
would  do for you?

I'd expect to see something like <hostname>.wibble.three.com etc., the
reason why I ask is because Evolution likes to have a FQDN when posting
to news via leafnode which I use on my laptop. If there's no FQDN or an
invalid one, leafnode refuses to accept any posts.

This is only a problem when away from home. When at home I do have a
proper FQDN from my router.

OK, thanks. I just wondered, as I've never perceived a need for a FQDN when using a mobile link. I don't use Evolution.

I do find an irritating problem with 3 in that sometimes it fails to provide DNS addresses, and I have to disconnect and re-connect to pick them up. I'm pretty sure it's not a NM issue, just something glitchy with their connections or maybe the sh*t ZTE modem. :(. Seems to be worse with low signal strength, so maybe the link just loses the info. and never re-tries.

Do you ever get that?

Cheers, Rick