Re: detecting resolv.conf changes

Howard Chu wrote:
>> Using tmpfs to hold volatile state for RO or limited write media is
>> nothing new. Such sites normally have /var/run mounted as such and
>> /etc/resolv.conf as a symlink to an updateable location on tmpfs.
>
> You seem to be under the impression that every Linux laptop user is also
> an experienced Linux sysadmin...

You seem to be under the impression that only resolvconf uses /var/run :)

roy uberpc ~ $ ls /var/run
acpid.socket      dhcp             metalog.pid      sepermit
autofs            dhcpcd           named            sm-notify.pid
autofs.fifo-misc  dhcpcd.pid       NetworkManager   sshd.pid
autofs.fifo-net   dhcpcd.sock      nscd             sudo
autofs.pid        dmeventd-client  ntpd.pid         utmp
autofs-running    dmeventd-server  PolicyKit        vpnc
console           dnsmasq.pid      portmap_mapping  wpa_supplicant
ConsoleKit        gdm.pid          random-seed      xauth
cups              gdm_socket       resolvconf       xdmctl
dbus              hald             rpc.statd.pid
dbus.pid          hald.pid         screen

Look - even NetworkManager uses /var/run!

I suggest that latop users should use a laptop orientated distro which
mounts /var/run tmpfs by default or at least read a laptop guide for
their distro of choice where this is probably mentioned.

>> And
>> when using dbus + dnsmasq + static /etc/resolv.conf no configuration
>> file needs updating.
>
> Right, that I agree with. But you don't need resolvconf for that; you
> just need the patch that I posted.

The OP mentioned that he didn't want to deal with patching.

So you expect that every Linux laptop user can patch source, compile and
install whereas I just expect a reasonably equipped distro which already
has resolvconf or equivalent installed (many do by default) with
/var/run optionally mounted tmpfs.

Thanks

Roy