Re: detecting resolv.conf changes

On Saturday 25 April 2009, Howard Chu wrote:
>Roy Marples wrote:
>> Howard Chu wrote:
>>> Understood. At any rate, it works for me; I run by own build from git
>>> with this patch (plus the no-scanning-while-connected patch). (It's far
>>> better than what I used to have to do, rewriting BIND's forwarders.conf
>>> file on every interface change and restarting it. And using a laptop
>>> without a local caching nameserver is just a bad idea, particularly when
>>> you're using a GSM modem and every byte costs 1.5cents.)
>>
>> NM supports resolvconf.
>> My implementation (openresolv) can write out configuration files for
>> BIND, dnsmasq and PowerDNS Recursor. With dnsmasq and DBus, the local
>> resolver is never restarted with is even better :)
>
>I guess you missed the discussion on this list the first time I posted this
>stuff. Writing new resolv.conf files is not a good way to go. You can pick
> up on this from the archives if you want.

Howard, this is a bigger problem than it should be.  I long ago made my
resolv.conf the way _I_ wanted it, and then immediately set the Immutable bit.
So long ago that I had forgotten about it till this discussion came up.  If
something pukes because of that, well at least I know one name that can be
summarily nuked from the system, rpm be damned.  And its now worked quite well
for several generations of installs.

In fact, I highly recommend the Immutable bit as the best self defense against
runaway developers who think, because their system works well with dhcp, it
should work for everybody.  For those of us running systems on our own private
networks, using host files with outside access only by a NATing router, dhcp
(and by inclusion, NM) is essentially worthless.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)