Re: detecting resolv.conf changes

Howard Chu wrote:
> I know what it does. Now please think about system integrity, read-only
> root filesystems, and needless rewriting of system files, particularly
> in the context of laptops with hard power constraints. Think about
> premature wear-out of SSDs caused by repeated overwriting of files.
> resolvconf is not a good idea.

Using tmpfs to hold volatile state for RO or limited write media is
nothing new. Such sites normally have /var/run mounted as such and
/etc/resolv.conf as a symlink to an updateable location on tmpfs. And
when using dbus + dnsmasq + static /etc/resolv.conf no configuration
file needs updating.

resolvconf is a very good idea.

Thanks

Roy