Re: detecting resolv.conf changes

networkmanager-list-request gnome org wrote:
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:42:35 -0400
From: "Eric S. Johansson"<esj harvee org>

Howard Chu wrote:
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:55:29 -0400
From: "Eric S. Johansson"<esj harvee org>

how do I detect that resolv.conf changes?  I'm trying to fix a
multiple name
server problem by using dnsmasq as an intermediary and I need to keep
resolv.conf pointing at localhost.

See this post:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-September/msg00042.html

did these patches get incorporated into the mainline?  If so, what version?

No, there was general disagreement about the policies involved in using dnsmasq this way and it was felt that the change was too drastic for the 0.7.0 release. I suppose it's time to raise the question again though.

given my previous successes with installing network manager from scratch
(usually ending in a reinstall), I am reluctant to touch anything that requires
patching.  I'm going to experiment with and inotify based solution.  That may be
a little less destructive to my mental and laptop well-being.

Understood. At any rate, it works for me; I run by own build from git with this patch (plus the no-scanning-while-connected patch). (It's far better than what I used to have to do, rewriting BIND's forwarders.conf file on every interface change and restarting it. And using a laptop without a local caching nameserver is just a bad idea, particularly when you're using a GSM modem and every byte costs 1.5cents.)

--
  -- Howard Chu