Re: detecting resolv.conf changes

Roy Marples wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
I know what it does. Now please think about system integrity, read-only
root filesystems, and needless rewriting of system files, particularly
in the context of laptops with hard power constraints. Think about
premature wear-out of SSDs caused by repeated overwriting of files.
resolvconf is not a good idea.

Using tmpfs to hold volatile state for RO or limited write media is
nothing new. Such sites normally have /var/run mounted as such and
/etc/resolv.conf as a symlink to an updateable location on tmpfs.

You seem to be under the impression that every Linux laptop user is also an experienced Linux sysadmin...

And
when using dbus + dnsmasq + static /etc/resolv.conf no configuration
file needs updating.

Right, that I agree with. But you don't need resolvconf for that; you just need the patch that I posted.

--
  -- Howard Chu