Re: Mobile Broadband - init string

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 11:42 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> --On 24 October 2008 17:35 -0400 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> ¦ On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 18:37 +0100, Rick Jones wrote:
> ¦
> ¦ > Response to ATI is LowRider. ATI0 returns ERROR, ATI1 returns
> R01.92,
> ¦ > all other ATIn return blank.
> ¦
> ¦ Ugh.  At least file a bug with them to return the +GCAP output in
> the
> ¦ ATI response like most other GSM cards appear to do.  If it's a CDMA
> ¦ palm, it can't hurt to return +GCAP anyway.
>
> +GCAP returns +GCAP: +CGSM, +FCLASS, +DS, +ES
>
> Looking at some specs of modem commands, I can't see any requirement
> to return GCAP info in ATI. I can see why it might be done as a
> convenience, but how is it formatted, and in response to which ATIn?

Many modems won't allow +GCAP before a PIN is entered, but will print
out the +GCAP: ..... string in the ATI information.  Not sure how the
palm stuff treats PIN entry, but if it allows +GCAP before the thing is
unlocked via the PIN, then that's fine.

> I think it's questionable to rely on this at hard-coded driver level.
> If the driver needs GCAP then it should use the defined mechanism,
> i.e. AT+GCAP.

Unless the modem doesn't allow certain commands until the PIN is
entered, but we need to know that it's a GSM modem so that we can
actually enter the PIN with AT+CPIN, which many CDMA modems don't use.