Re: Bug 504822 - Use Tango Icons for Nm-applet

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 11:55 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2008 8:43 AM, Baptiste Mille-Mathias
> <baptiste millemathias gmail com> wrote:
> > On 1/5/08, Baptiste Mille-Mathias <baptiste millemathias gmail com> wrote:
> > >
> > > (Perhaps my mail wasn't clear enough)
> > >
> > > And what about the icons nm-*, aren't they provided by nm-applet
> > > (http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/network-manager-applet/trunk/icons/) ?
> > > I truly agree that stock icons should inherit from icon theme, but for
> > > specific icons, that would be great they use the same style. GNOME
> > > default theme switched to Tango style in version 2.20 (I'm talking
> > > Tango as the style, not the Tango the icon theme) that's why I wanted
> > > to replace the icons with the set attached on the bug report.
> > > They fit nicely with the current GNOME desktop
> > >
> > > Thank you
> >
> > So as nobody replied, I'm coming back
> >
> > I attach a screenshot of the icons for the 2 sets.
> >
> > You can see the icons provided by nm-applet at this time [1], they are
> > fedora theme centric or use the old GNOME icon style.
> >
> > On the link [2] there is the replacement with the current style used
> > in GNOME desktop.
> >
> > Note it is possible to have the 2 styles in the package, and people
> > who use fedora theme will have the Fedora theme and people using GNOME
> > theme will have the GNOME theme.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > [1] http://bmm80.free.fr/GNOME/shots/nm-fedora.png
> > [2] http://bmm80.free.fr/GNOME//shots/nm-gnome.png
> > --
> > Baptiste Mille-Mathias
> > Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés

> Baptiste, I will let Dan verify this but I am pretty sure that NM will
> inherit the icon theme and those are only if the icon theme does not
> specify replacements for the Stock Icons.   I tested this on my Ubuntu
> 7.10 system running NM 0.7 and this was how it behaved.
>
> I personally like the Tango icons but if I am correct and NM will use
> a themes icon if they are available then wouldn't the proper place for
> these icons be in the Tango Icon theme?

Right; if you have specified the Tango icon theme for your desktop, NM
just calls the standard GTK icon theme calls to get icons.  It should
pick up the Tango icons if that's your theme.  If it doesn't, then
there's a bug we should fix.

One thing I don't like about the Tango icons is that in the connectingXX
icon progression, the blue progress steps are too much like the signal
strength bars, but they actually indicate vastly different things.