Re: Connection problem/kernel oops with orinoco-usb

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 23:34 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> The only reason NM should be using AP_SCAN=2 is if your network is
> hidden.  Is that the case here?  Hidden networks are more trouble than
> they are worth, and if you can unhide it (and use appropriate security
> of course) that's the best thing to do.

No, I have SSID broadcasting enabled in my home router, and all the APs
I use elsewhere are also broadcasting.  (There may be hidden APs in
these environments I don't know about.)

Looking again at the log outputs, these lines of wpa_supplicant output
look suspicious:

NM --

WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: response was
'OK'
NetworkManager: <info>  SUP: sending command 'AP_SCAN 2'

Running manually with -Dwext --

WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
supported
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - Trying to associate with 00:03:2f:06:fc:7d
(SSID='SMC2404WBR' freq=2412 MHz)

It's as if this WEXT call "param 5" doesn't work for NetworkManager, but
works when run manually.  Is this why NetworkManager goes scanning for
hidden APs?

Thanks,

Sourav