Re: Connection problem/kernel oops with orinoco-usb

On 10/27/07, Sourav K. Mandal <sourav mandal gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Compaq WL200 USB wireless thingy that's supported by the
> orinoco_usb driver.  This driver does not support WPA.
>
> I can connect by hand using wpa_supplicant and dhclient, but
> NetworkManager fails to associate, and often causes kernel oopses
> through the driver.  NetworkManager log is attached.
>
> I believe the problem begins with "AP_SCAN 2"; the wpa_supplicant output
> before that is the same when I run it manually.  NetworkManager seems to
> be doing something (e.g., "SIOCSIWAUTH", "SIOCSIWGENIE") that the driver
> doesn't support and is perhaps unnecessary.
>
> I tried tweaking settings in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf,
> such as "ap_scan=0", to no avail.  (Does NetworkManager even load this
> config when calling wpa_supplicant?)
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Sourav

I did a little bit of research and there is a help article in the
Ubuntu wiki that describes the same problem that you are having but
with no solution.   The messages you are receiving usually indicate
that the device doesn't support WEXT.   Are you launching
wpa_supplicant with -Dwext and it connects?

As for your second question NetworkManager doesn't use
wpa_supplicant.conf it passes the values it needs over dbus.