Re: Connection problem/kernel oops with orinoco-usb

On 10/28/07, Sourav K. Mandal <sourav mandal gmail com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 20:04 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:
>
> > I did a little bit of research and there is a help article in the
> > Ubuntu wiki that describes the same problem that you are having but
> > with no solution.   The messages you are receiving usually indicate
> > that the device doesn't support WEXT.   Are you launching
> > wpa_supplicant with -Dwext and it connects?
>
> wpa_supplicant connects just fine w/o specifying -Dwext.  The only
> effect -Dwext has on wpa_supplicant is that it doesn't run
> "SIOCGIWSCAN".  (logs attached)
>
> wpa_supplicant seems to call "SIOCSIWAUTH" whether launched manually or
> by NM.  However, it's only in the case with NM that association
> ultimately fails and the driver gets into a flaky state.  This may be
> due to the "AP_SCAN 2" step.  (see previous email with NM log)
>
> I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this work, or whether
> NM or the driver need modification.
>

> Best,
>
> Sourav

That explains the problem then; when you don't pass a driver to
wpa_supplicant it uses the hostap driver by default.   NetworkManager
only works with drivers that support the use of wireless extensions
(WEXT) so in order for this card to work with NetworkManager it must
support WEXT which it evidently does not, or at least the version you
have does not.