Re: Connection problem/kernel oops with orinoco-usb

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 22:28 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:

> > wpa_supplicant connects just fine w/o specifying -Dwext.  The only
> > effect -Dwext has on wpa_supplicant is that it doesn't run
> > "SIOCGIWSCAN".  (logs attached)
> >
> > wpa_supplicant seems to call "SIOCSIWAUTH" whether launched manually or
> > by NM.  However, it's only in the case with NM that association
> > ultimately fails and the driver gets into a flaky state.  This may be
> > due to the "AP_SCAN 2" step.  (see previous email with NM log)
> >
> > I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make this work, or whether
> > NM or the driver need modification.

> That explains the problem then; when you don't pass a driver to
> wpa_supplicant it uses the hostap driver by default.   NetworkManager
> only works with drivers that support the use of wireless extensions
> (WEXT) so in order for this card to work with NetworkManager it must
> support WEXT which it evidently does not, or at least the version you
> have does not.

When I run wpa_supplicant manually with the -Dwext switch, it still
works.

However, NM not only runs wpa_supplicant with -Dwext switch, it then
also tries to actually use the wireless extensions, which I don't do
when running manually.  Since the driver doesn't properly support these
wireless extensions, NM can't connect and the driver oopses the kernel.

Is this correct?