Re: No dhclient started for wireless card

Darren Albers wrote:

> How are you controlling Network Manager without the GUI?  VIA Dbus?

Oooh, now I see what's going wrong.  I assumed I didn't need to control
it because it automatically runs the DHCP client for eth0, but it turns
out I do need to have a GUI frontend to make it associate to a wireless.

And if I run KNetworkManager and click one of the wireless networks, it
works fine indeed.

> I don't think NM can be used from a console without calling it through
> dbus.

Oh, that's too bad.

> Why are you trying to run NM without one of the GUI's?

I'm running neither KDE nor GNOME, so a system tray applet is fairly
useless to me.  (My window manager is Ion3, in case you're curious.)  I
don't normally use the mouse anyway, and the applets only seem to be
controllable using a mouse.

Hmm.

So the right way to control NetworkManager from the console would be to
write a script that sends dbus messages to NetworkManager, right?  Can
you give me a hint where to start looking for the dbus messages I can
send and receive?  Is there a spec, or should I best look at the
NetworkManager source, or at the KNetworkManager source?

// Lea