Re: Can we make NM automatically handle the need for proxy arp?

On 8/27/06, Ted Lemon <Ted Lemon nominum com> wrote:
On Aug 27, 2006, at 5:25 PM, Darren Albers wrote:
> So is the real issue here that dhclient is aborting completely when it
> gets an invalid default route or is it accepting all the information
> just rejecting the bad gateway?

I seriously doubt that it's aborting.   It is trying to install the
route, and failing.   So it seems like it ought to be the case that
Linux has an IP address configured on the interface, but no default
route.   It may be that the reason Miles in particular is having a
problem is that his machine has three network interfaces; it's
possible that it has a default route on one of the other interfaces,
and therefore is sending all its packets out that interface.   One
easy way to check would be for Miles to send us the output of "netstat
-rn" run on his machine, while the failure mode is going on.

Here you go:

netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.21.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth1
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 lo