Re: Can we make NM automatically handle the need for proxy arp?

On 8/27/06, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
On 8/27/06, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
> So I don't think this is a Network Manager issue but a Linux
> networking issue, can you run ethereal and post the output from
> windows and linux?

Actually I don't even think this is a linux networking issue, in
retrospect letting any device running proxy-arp route your traffic
seems to be a VERY bad idea.  I suspect that the Linux networking
stack is doing the smart thing in this case.  I wonder if you just
remove the default gateway will Linux let any device that is arping
that it knows the route to something take the traffic?

If you boot into windows and run route print does it show some strange
routes in it?

Ok I just confirmed that Windows is brain-dead in this regard, I
slapped up a Cisco 2600 I have sitting in my lab and enabled proxy-arp
on the directly connected interface and then setup a second interface
(So the router has someplace to send traffic to).  So on my windows
machine I have a default gateway set to another router but windows
ignored that and sent my traffic for the test network to the router.
This is brain-dead, if I specify that 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 needs to go to
1.1.1.1 then it should not let some device arbitrarily tell my system
that it has a better route to that network unless that is something I
/want/ it it do.

With my Linux laptop if I have a default route it ignores the router,
but when I remove the default route it adds the route to my system.

I personally think Linux is doing the right thing, imagine the havoc
if someone plugs in a device on a public wifi that arps that it knows
the way to 2.2.2.2 which also happens to be the IP that hotmail uses.
They then sit there and collect all the logins....