Re: NM 0.6.2-Ubuntu 6.06--conflict b/w NM & native Ubuntu networking tool?

On 8/7/06, Leigh Noble <noble ms uky edu> wrote:
On 8/6/2006 10:48 AM, Darren Albers wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Jacob <fun2program8 yahoo com> wrote:
>
> <On 8/4/06, Leigh Noble <noble ms uky edu> wrote:>
>>>However, enabling eth1 in the native Ubuntu networking tool causes all
>>>the eth1 entries to be re-written into /etc/network/interfaces. If I
>>>logout without editing this file, upon restart NetworkManager does not
>>>recognize the wireless card at all. If I re-edit /etc/network/interfaces
>>>and remove all eth1 references, upon restart NetworkManager *can* see
>>>the wireless card (and access points in my area), but again, eth1 is not
>>>enabled and NetworkManager actually cannot connect.
>

> I think there is some confusion, Network-Manager CAN and SHOULD
> connect without any entries in /etc/network/interfaces.  This sounds
> like a problem with NDISWrapper, what version of NDISWrapper are you
> running?

I don't think I'm using ndiswrapper directly (unless NetworkManager uses
it), but I have version 1.8-0ubuntu2 of ndiswrapper-utils installed. I'm
using the ipw2200 driver and NetworkManager reports ipw2200 under it's
Connection Information. ndiswrapper -l currently lists no installed drivers.

You are correct, you don't seem to be running NDISWrapper.  Actually
the IPW2200 is probably the most mature Linux driver with full WEXT
support and in most cases seems to work out of the box with
Network-Manager.

Can you run Network-Manager as shown here:
http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ#head-8f6f8d5923a8859b5ef88ce2158d50b48bee9614
and paste the output from a connection attempt?