NM 0.6.2-Ubuntu 6.06--conflict b/w NM & native Ubuntu networking tool? (was: NetworkManager issues)

I too believe I am having a problem similar to Jacob's included below.

I am using NetworkManager 0.6.2 (under Ubuntu 6.06). I comment out all the entries related to eth1 (my wireless card) in /etc/network/interfaces and restart my system. Upon restart, NetworkManager shows all available wireless SSIDs but is unable to connect. I note that if I go into the native Ubuntu networking tool (System/Administration/Networking) it does *not* show eth1 as being enabled. If I "enable" eth1 in the Properties dialog box of the native Ubuntu networking tool, NetworkManager is immediately able to connect to a wireless access point.

However, enabling eth1 in the native Ubuntu networking tool causes all the eth1 entries to be re-written into /etc/network/interfaces. If I logout without editing this file, upon restart NetworkManager does not recognize the wireless card at all. If I re-edit /etc/network/interfaces and remove all eth1 references, upon restart NetworkManager *can* see the wireless card (and access points in my area), but again, eth1 is not enabled and NetworkManager actually cannot connect.

So, as a novice, I think the question is: How do I "enable" eth1 in such a way that it does not re-write /etc/network/interfaces?

--Leigh
http://www.ms.uky.edu/~noble