Re: disabling keyring

Derek Frye wrote:

I think the "no need to login" idea this is outside the scope of NetworkManager; it's a *desktop* application, not a server application.

But that is silly.  I feel Eric needs more support here :-)
I have exactly the same feelings. System and user based configurations are entirely valid and meaningful concepts whether a machine is some kind of dedicated server (eg. fixed IP machine) or on a desktop client machine (dynamic IP - ie. relevant to NM).

It is also absolutely reasonable for a client machine to have a server process listening on an port. sshd is the perfect example! Perhaps some kind of nasty 'su'ing interface to have a list of /etc/init.d services which are started/restarted when the network comes alive, and optionally stopped/restarted when it disappears (some processes bind to localhost too)? That would certainly be the 'client oriented' solution. But they feel much more hacky than what Eric is suggesting. And while I agree that some clients like ntpd should become dbus aware it does not seem quite so reasonable to ask critical service daemons like sshd to do so :- I suppose it could reasonably be an enable at compile time option for sshd, but we don't all run Gentoo :-)

Perhaps the correct extension to this idea is to have a completely independent dbus aware process that is capable of starting/stopping/restarting various system services

tOnY

-- Derek