Re: disabling keyring

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:39:52AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > That is a NetworkManager issue, completely specific to NetworkManager.
>
> And at this moment, that's not a problem that NM tries to solve.  In
> fact, this is explicitly outside of the scope of NM right now, since NM
> is not meant to be used on servers yet.  NM doesn't support multiple
> active links yet either.

Very well. Personnaly, all of the computer I am working with (I am
speaking about computers running kde, openoffice, firefox, etc, for
desktop use) are also ssh servers and, sometimes vnc servers. Maybe httpd
was the worst example, but it is sometimes useful to be able to connect
to such a computer, don't you think ? I wouldn't however say that those
computers qualify as ``servers''... If I understand correctly, if I put
sshd on my laptop, I shouldn't use NetworkManager. Hmmm.

Anyway, finally, what is the advantage of storing network preferences in
home directories ? I have stated a couple of advantages of storing them
in /var (computer more quickly available after login, possibility of
running a server (this might not be a problem NM tries to solve, but it
would come for free) and possibility of sharing a key). I fail to see any
disadvantage. Please enlighten me !

> Eventually, once we have some sort of system-wide configuration
> framework, we'll pull data from there and support this sort of thing,
> including (most likely) global wireless keys and such.  But no such
> thing exists.
if this framework existed, would it replace or supplement
the framework of storing in home directories ? (I would say replace, as I
wouldn't see the point of storing any data in home directories. Putting
everything in one place would be more robust and simpler, no ?)
>                In the GNOME world, that could be GConf (since you don't
> need to be logged in to use GConf default & mandatory settings), or it

I should say that it shouldn't be gconf, as NetworkManager itself should
be desktop neutral: it makes sense that gnome-applet uses gconf, but
not NetworkManager, no ?

> could be something else.  I wouldn't advocate the mess that
> is /etc/sysconfig/ scripts right now,
I couldn't agree more...

Éric Brunet