Re: disabling keyring

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 17:19 +0200, �ic Brunet wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:01:57AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Dropping into detailed mode is merely an aesthetic consideration, but
> > > presumably whatever ntpd is failing to do (update the system time?) is a
> > > technical issue, and I imagine there are other services that could
> > > benefit from having a network connection available to them once the
> > > network service starts up (fairly early in the service startup sequence).
> >
> > This is a hack.  These network services, like ntpd, need to deal with
> > differing and/or absent network connections.  That's no different than
> > now.  The only difference is that a network connection might not be
> > immediately available to the daemon.  So when one _is_ available, the
> > daemon should then try to contact the NTP server, but not before.
>
> But ntpd is a client, network-wise. I was thinking of a server process,
> such as httpd or sshd. If I run such a process on a computer, I expect to
> be able to power up the computer, leave it alone a couple of minutes
> (boot time) and be able to access the server from the network. It is not
> so with NetworkManager: I need to power up the computer, leave it alone a
> couple of minutes (boot time) and then log in to have the network working
> and my server usefull. It doesn't matter whom I am logging as, just
> someone needs to be logged in! It doesn't make any sense; why should
> I need to log in as joe to have the system wide httpd working on that
> computer ? And imagine that I just do that and leave the computer powered
> up at home and go for a walk, knowing that some people are accessing the
> httpd server. Now, if there is a power outage and the computer reboots,
> noone will be able to access the server till I go home and log in again!
>
> That is a NetworkManager issue, completely specific to NetworkManager.

And at this moment, that's not a problem that NM tries to solve.  In
fact, this is explicitly outside of the scope of NM right now, since NM
is not meant to be used on servers yet.  NM doesn't support multiple
active links yet either.

Eventually, once we have some sort of system-wide configuration
framework, we'll pull data from there and support this sort of thing,
including (most likely) global wireless keys and such.  But no such
thing exists.  In the GNOME world, that could be GConf (since you don't
need to be logged in to use GConf default & mandatory settings), or it
could be something else.  I wouldn't advocate the mess that
is /etc/sysconfig/ scripts right now, but who knows.

When that time comes, then we should bring up network connections on
boot if the user so specifies, though I would argue that it should not
be the default behavior.  But right now that's explicitly outside the
scope of NM.