Re: [patch] add remove right-click menu item.

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 12:14 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> Ok, my take on this is that any "primary" connection (ie, one that's
> actually hardware) should be in the main menu at this time...  So stuff
> like dial-up still needs to be in the menu, because it needs to have a
> check-mark by it when it's the active connection.  Eventually we may
> have a couple different sections, Wired, Wireless, Dial-up, Bluetooth,
> but that's life for the moment.

That's more reason to create a dialog, or even a full application window
for nm. When you left click you get this window, when you right click
you get quick action menu, something like:

Favorite Connections		>
	My Home Network (eth0, dhcp)
	Some Non-DHCP hole (eth0, static profile)
	Starbucks (eth1, dhcp)
	Dial up Provider (modem0, isdn)
	My UMTS (modem1, ppp)
	Stop All Connections
Favorite VPNs			>
	Office
	Customer 1
	Stop all VPNs
Connections Properties...
Connections Status...
Help...
About...
Quit...

Now with the favorites approach, we would avoid the need of several
layers of sub menus (think multiple wireless devices, each of them with
different discovered networks, with different settings) which we can
show in a much better way using the tree widget in the app window.

> I'm somewhat skeptical about auto-connecting VPN, that was the original
> idea but for various reasons (ie, the coffee shop makes you log in to
> their network before they let your traffic pass) we decided not to do
> VPN autologin at this time.  However, we could revisit that decision.

For both the dial up and the VPNs, it can be done with a choice of three

1) Auto connect
2) Connect with a confirmation dialog (think hotel wireless, you have to
pay before you connect)
3) User selected connection.

When I think of it again, it can be a setting for all connection types.

--
Tomislav Vujec
Manager, Client Development