Re: [patch] add remove right-click menu item.

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 13:43 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I think that the way it works today we always want the icon available.
> Otherwise, how would I go about turning of the radio of my wireless card
> (just before boarding a flight) if there is nowhere to click?
>
> Of course, for the rare cases like when there is no possible network
> connection (e.g. only wired card and there is no link) we *could* hide
> the icon but I doubt this is worth the effort..

At least skype and gaim use notification icons which are never hidden,
except when not used at all. I am not sure about this, since I only use
GNOME, but isn't it true that nm-applet as a notification icon also
works on KDE (and possibly other systems implementing this
freedesktop.org standard)? Are GNOME panel applets compatible with KDE
now days?

Further more, I am a bit worried about the whole menu idea. It already
gets pretty big if you use your computer in a busy neighborhood. Add
extensions for other network types, like ppp, isdn, gprs, umts,
bluetooth, ... together with configuration, it will become huge, and
definitely not "stetic" (think scrollbar in the menu).

All other notification icons I currently have (7 to be precise), show
some kind of dialog box / application window when left clicked, and they
offer a menu when right clicked. Regular applets are not that different,
except they either perform immediate action or show some kind of
information on left click.

Finally, the configuration, if any, should really be done by the
separate capplet, or a dialog started from the right click menu.

Just my 2 cents.
--
Tomislav Vujec
Manager, Client Development