Re: Audio/Video file preview using gstreamer

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 13:47 +0100, jamie wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 00:25 +1200, John Stowers wrote:
> > On 9/26/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > > Yes. Tooltips suck. They keep getting in your way when you don't want
> > > them. However, something like the metadata tiles by Neil Patel[1] seems
> > > like a good approach. In fact, we discussed possible code design
> > > approaches for a generalization of this. Nothing has came out of it yet
> > > though.
> > >
> > > Various plugins etc could generate metadata for display in it, and the
> > > preview part could have a button to preview video or audio. (Of course,
> > > I still think its a bad idea to run gstreamer in the nautilus process,
> > > but that is easy to fix with some fork() and window cross-process
> > > sharing action.)
> >
> > I also spent some time integrating tagging into nautilus, using
> > tracker as a backend. However following the monumentally huge flamewar
> > on ddl after tracker was proposed for inclusion last cycle, I stopped
> > work on it.
> >
> > With heavy refactoring going on in nautilus atm I hope to revist my
> > work, and neils at a later date. Ideally with
> > 1) Tracker and/or Xesam getting into GNOME
> > 2) Xesam supporting tags
>
> I recommend xesam for this as it means not having to rewrite tons of
> stuff for all possible backends

I want to have it cleanly abstracted in the nautilus code so that
different (and multiple at the same time) backends can availible. I
discussed the design with Neil at the time and we came up with a plan
for it. I'm not sure exactly where this discussion was though, and if
its availible somewhere public...