Re: Audio/Video file preview using gstreamer

2007/9/26, jamie <jamiemcc blueyonder co uk>:
On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 00:25 +1200, John Stowers wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for your interest!
> > >
> > > There are discussions on the bugzilla and maybe on the list (archived)
> > > where general metadata preview is discussed in a key-value based
> > > fashion, in a tooltip. It would also display image and video metadata,
> > > and a large preview for them.
> > >
> > > At the moment I can't point out any URIs, though.
> > >
> > > IIRC Alex didn't really like the concept, we should first sort out
> > > whether this has any chance of being integrated into Nautilus.
> >
> > Yes. Tooltips suck. They keep getting in your way when you don't want
> > them. However, something like the metadata tiles by Neil Patel[1] seems
> > like a good approach. In fact, we discussed possible code design
> > approaches for a generalization of this. Nothing has came out of it yet
> > though.
> >
> > Various plugins etc could generate metadata for display in it, and the
> > preview part could have a button to preview video or audio. (Of course,
> > I still think its a bad idea to run gstreamer in the nautilus process,
> > but that is easy to fix with some fork() and window cross-process
> > sharing action.)
>
> I also spent some time integrating tagging into nautilus, using
> tracker as a backend. However following the monumentally huge flamewar
> on ddl after tracker was proposed for inclusion last cycle, I stopped
> work on it.
>
> With heavy refactoring going on in nautilus atm I hope to revist my
> work, and neils at a later date. Ideally with
> 1) Tracker and/or Xesam getting into GNOME
> 2) Xesam supporting tags

Hi John,

I recommend xesam for this as it means not having to rewrite tons of
stuff for all possible backends

xesam 1 which is being finalised should be ready soon (along with client
libs)

xesam 2 which provides metadata store and keywords will follow after
that

for the simple non-index backend I think mikkel was going to implement a
non-indexed backend to xesam (perhaps he can confirm?) in which case
your job would be much much easier

That is indeed my plan, but I am totally swamped in work, kids, and xesam spec finalizing, so things are moving relatively slowly on this point.

But building something on top of Tracker's tracker-extract or Strigi stream analyzers should be fairly easy.

Cheers,
Mikkel