Re: POSIX ACL Support in Nautilus

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 19:13 +0300, Ionut Cotoi wrote:
> You guys got me puzzled, what about the standard UNIX permissions ?
> We can't have both things presented to the user on the same tab, I
> think maybe a button on the permissions tab, something like
> [Advanced...] would be more appropriate, and clicking that button will
> pop-up the POSIX perm window, which should resemble the one in
> Win2k/XP, or maybe OS X.

Why can't we have them both in the same dialog? Isn't the POSIX ACL spec
just a superset of UNIX permissions? (i.e. X person or group can or
cannot read/write/execute) I would think that Owner, Group and Others
could be presented in the dialog as special, non-removable users. The
Sticky and setuid/setgid would have to go in their own category, but it
could still be within the same dialog.

The dialog could be laid out as it is, but with the Owner/Group/Others
section being a treeview, like what you see in the Open With dialog, but
with three toggle boxes instead of option buttons. Add and remove
buttons would be beneath it, and the rest of the dialog could remain the
same