Re: [Nautilus-list] The screenshots made me think....

Mattias Eriksson wrote:

> With a gnome look I mean things like using gnome stockbuttons by
> default, using system fonts by default and such things. A app that lets
> gnome handle all that kind of stuff automaticly gets a gnome look.
>
> And I dont want to be rude to any employers at eazel, I think they have
> been doing a great job so far. But I still think it's important not to
> trade a default gnome look just go get this single app looking better,
> because I must say that it's looking good. I just want to point out that
> it might be an idea to improve the gnome stockbuttons so that those
> might be better looking and then use them by default. I guess the font
> matter might solve itself when gtk 2.0 comes with support for
> antialiasing, I asume that this is the reason to use a alternative font.
>
> //Snaggen
>
> Mattias Eriksson             E-mail: c96men cs umu se

The folks mostly responsible for the the default colors, fonts,
backgrounds, etc. are currently away at Linux World.  Maybe if we give
them a few days to get back they can comment on the specifics.

Of course the reason why they chose a specific color or font is usually
they thought it looked better.  That is the part I don't think is worth
arguing about in a developers list, because its a highly subjective and
religious issue.  Note (as you have alluded) that we are talking only
about defaults.  Nothing is dumped on the user without recourse.  In
fact this is one of the reasons why users of Nautilus can customize it
with their own colors and backgrounds!  You should really try it, these
are fun features.

Now, whether GNOME as a whole should look more like Nautilus is an
interesting question.  I think Nautilus leads by example.  Both our
hackers and artists are always more than happy to contribute to that
end.  See for example the great work done by John Harper and Arlo Rose
to make a great default looking combo GTK+ and Sawfish theme
(eazel-themes/gtk/eazel-engine in CVS).

-re