Re: Proposals...

2009/5/14 Juan José Sánchez <jjsanchez igalia com>:
[snip]
> I think that we
> should try to update it and don't see a very good reason to be too
> restrictive with the "accepted" modules, as GNOME Mobile is a quite open
> concept/platform. An obvious inclussion from my point of view should be
> Clutter, as a complement/alternative to GTK+.

Juan José,

I completely agree with adding Clutter.  I don't know much about
tinymail but it looks cool.  Is embedded-eds
(http://labs.o-hand.com/embedded-eds/) still relevant these days for
mobile email?

One thing we need to think about is how fragmented the SoC market is
for mobile stuff.  For instance OMAP has gst-goo and gst-openmax, both
of which provide an adaption layer between OpenMax IL and Gstreamer,
which makes it pretty easy to for Gstreamer-enabled apps to use all of
the hardware accelerators on OMAP devices.  Is it GM's responsibility
to host such software?

How do we make sure that the fragmented SoC market isn't "dumbed down"
by only providing codecs that run on the CPU (ie, ffmpeg), which is
often not a viable option for low-powered ARM devices?  Using hardware
accelerators seems very important to me, but that is getting much more
low-level than most GNOME folks like to go...  Thoughts on this?

Mike