Re: Proposals...

Dave Neary schrieb:
> Hi Mike,
Hello!

> Mike Turquette wrote:
>> Lets work on making things less fuzzy.  The most official place I can
>> think of for finding GNOME Mobile software is in the GNOME release FTP
>> repository.  The latest for GM is,
>> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/mobile/2.27/2.27.1/sources/
>>
>> Here is a list of the software found there,
>> GConf-dbus-2.16.0
>> atk-1.26.0
>> evolution-data-server-dbus-2.20.0
>> glib-2.21.0
>> gst-plugins-base-0.10.22
>> gstreamer-0.10.22
>> gtk+-2.17.0
>> gtk-doc-1.11
>> pango-1.24.2
>>
>> Surely this can't be it!  (in fact I know it isn't, but it is a start)
>
> Indeed - the release set does not include what the GNOME project calls
> "external dependencies". I don't like the phrase, because that implies
> that we're simple consumers of these dependencies, when in reality many
> are developped by the GNOME community.

Then, what was the reasoning for the components being developed within
Gnome to be called "external"? Being external is for sure tre for things
like Tinymail, BlueZ etc. so external could still make sense for some of
those.

Anyway as a very first step we should publicly collect *all* components
we have identified by now. So far it seems not very obvious for many
participants which components we have identified at all, regardless of
being in- or external.
I know that this list exists, but where?

> These dependencies include a large number of fd.o modules - DBus, HAL,
> Telepathy, BlueZ, Matchbox (which should be a GNOME module, no?), Cairo,
> SQLite.
>
> The mobile release set could/should also include binding sets for C++
> and Python for all of these core libraries - and perhaps Vala too?

Usagewise I am not really a fan of Vala yet, but that is only due to the
fact that I still have to learn a lot about it ;)
Technologywise I would also stringly vote for its inclusion! It is a
very clean way to implement object oriented applicaitons and it is
highly efficient since it compiles into C code.

> I'm not sure where gio and gVFS get packaged - in glib, I think?
>
> I would certainly not be opposed to releasing tarballs of core external
> dependencies as part of the GNOME Mobile release set on gnome.org.

This is already a second step, at least for me. First we should make it
public knowledge what we think could be "useful" in the GM scope, where
it sits in the stack, what it does, what it depends upon, etc. Of course
some of this information will be redundant with the original sources but
it cannot hurt to pull this together into a collection of summaries and
link from there to the original sources.

I think I'll start to draft a web page for this with a table and some
links, OK? This can then be extended over time (and well, I think I will
also maintain it for the foreseeable future if noone minds).

> Cheers,
> Dave.
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de