Re: Guidelines for Foundation membership

On 8/17/05, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
Another solution is to tell people that they should be active since at
least 6 months in the GNOME community. And then, if an applicant is
contributing since at least 6 months, we simply accept him (even if
there's not a lot of contributions). This solution also has the
advantage that it'll be a stock answer for people who apply just after
they start contributing...

I would prefer that people don't apply immediately, and we might mention
that on the membership page somewhere, but we also _really_ don't want
to discourage new people who have already applied.

It certainly seems to imply more strongly that a foundation membership
is valued/important/etc. if we have minimum lengths of time that
someone needs to be involved. If it is something that we give out
quickly/easily it does devalue things somewhat, though presumably our
other rules mitigate that to a certain extent.

Luis