Re: Guidelines for Foundation membership

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 11:37 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

The membership committee is (still) having issues with the guidelines
for the Foundation membership. The problem mainly occurs for some
translators (hence, I'm cc'ing Christian and Danilo), but it occurs for
some other people too.

So instead of just talking, let's take some examples (note that in some
cases, we did not contact the contacts in the applications yet):

Translator example:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/membership-committee/2005-July/msg00020.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/membership-committee/2005-April/msg00001.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/membership-committee/2005-April/msg00000.html

If they have put significant time/effort into translating, I don't see a
problem. We might sometimes need to ask the coordinator for that
language to double-check that it's significant, but I don't think
there's much downside.

Non-translator example:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/membership-committee/2005-July/msg00027.html

Right now, some of these applications are in the "we're not sure the
contributions are enough" situation...

One solution is to simply say "accept" for these applications (if the
board thinks it's okay for these ones). This will make things easier for
us :-)

Another solution is to tell people that they should be active since at
least 6 months in the GNOME community. And then, if an applicant is
contributing since at least 6 months, we simply accept him (even if
there's not a lot of contributions). This solution also has the
advantage that it'll be a stock answer for people who apply just after
they start contributing...

I would prefer that people don't apply immediately, and we might mention
that on the membership page somewhere, but we also _really_ don't want
to discourage new people who have already applied.

So, what do the board think? Christian, Danilo, your input is also
welcome!

Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressÃs.

--
Murray Cumming