Re: Elections

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:34:26AM -0500, Tim Ney wrote:
On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 11:01, Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:22:45PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:

Referendum is technically possible, but it might not be a wise thing to
do it during the elections. This last part should be evaluated by the
board and not by the membership committee.

Do we have a conclusion on this ?

I don't recall ever hearing a proposal to have the referendum before
the election.  The thought was to have it either as an extension to
the election, or afterwards whichever was less work for the
membership committee.

From a mechanical perspective, would it be easier for the voting and
tabulation to include the referendum question on the board election
ballots?

I don't think it will matter from a mechanical prespective since the
voting is done electronically.  We need to make a separate script (or
include it in the board elections script) to process the referendum.
This isn't like a government election where people need to go to a
polling place and vote.  The delivery mechanism will be the same.
Just the counting script needs some alterations.  The counting script
would need alterations whether the election was held in conjunction
with the board elections or after.  Basically it doesn't make a
difference.  The Board of Directors needs to stop skirting the issue
and decide before it is too late.  I think Vincent gave a deadline of
the end of accepting candidates before the membership committee feels
adding the referendum will be too late.

Eric Baudais

--
They give you illusion that has the appearance of truth.  I give you
truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion.